Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Venison Ribs

I don't have much experience cooking ribs. They are not something I EVER buy.

I put ribs in the same category as chicken wings - a lot of work for not a lot of meat.

But considering I have two boxes of venison in the freezer - thank you Joel and Danny - I have some frozen ribs, and I need to cook them.

Or put a sweater on. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is another Pioneer Woman recipe that I have adapted to suit my family's tastes. It is basic and simple.

The only thing difficult about this recipe for me will be scouring and re-seasoning my cast iron Dutch oven. At this very moment it is outside in the fire pit underneath a pile of ashes which is underneath a pile of snow.

Don't ask why.

I love cast iron and I cook almost exclusively with it. Cast iron is virtually indestructible.

Which is why I am not worried that my Dutch oven is outside in the fire pit underneath a pile of ashes which is underneath a pile of snow.

Beef or Venison Ribs (I am using venison)
salt & pepper - to taste
¼ cups all-purpose flour
6 pieces bacon, cut in small pieces
2 Tbsp. oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 whole carrots, diced very small
3-4 cups beef broth (enough to almost cover ribs)
dash of thyme and rosemary

Salt and pepper ribs, then coat in flour. Set aside.

In a large dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until completely crispy. Remove bacon and set aside. Do not discard grease.

Add oil to pan with the saved bacon grease, and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides. Remove ribs onto plate. Turn heat down to medium.

Add onions and carrots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of beef broth and scrape bottom of pan; bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.

Add remaining broth, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste. Add ribs to the liquid (ribs should be almost completely submerged). Add thyme and rosemary.

Bake in covered dutch oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours. Reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes - or until ribs are fork-tender.

Allow to cool. Skim off fat from top - which will most likely not be necessary if using venison. Reheat and serve over mashed potatoes with a side of steamed broccoli.

Love Me

No comments: