Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ultimate Stuffed Mushrooms

While not being a huge mushroom fun, I am fond of these. I mean, really, what's not to like?

They are warm, cheesy bite-size snacks . . and they are low carb and low fat. Yeah for me!

I will assemble them at home but bake them at church because it would be impossible to keep them warm - and they definitely need to be served warm.

20 mushrooms
3 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp finely chopped onions
2 Tbsp. finely chopped red peppers (I use the jarred roasted red pepper)
14 Ritz crackers, finely crushed (about 1/2 cup crumbs)
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Removed stems from mushrooms and use a melon baller to carefully scoop a little mushroom flesh from the cap. Finely chop flesh and stems - enough to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Cover and refrigerate remaining stems for other use.

Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped mushroom flesh and stems, the onions and peppers; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in cracker crumbs, cheese, and Italian seasoning.

Spoon crumb mixture evenly into mushroom caps. Place on baking sheet.

Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.

Carb. 2 g; Fat 2.5 g

Love Me

No comments: