Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Raisin Pie (and the story Cinnamon the Cat and the Raisin Pie)

This is one of my all time favorite pies! I have loved it since I was a little girl.

To me this is a spring pie - if there is such a thing. I guess because Mother would sometimes make it for Easter.

But I can't write a post about raisin pie without telling the story of our cat, Cinnamon.

Back when we lived at the little house Mother baked a raisin pie one Sunday morning before church . . .

. . . okay, stop right there.

Does this not tell you something about my mother? She baked a pie BEFORE church WHILE getting two young girls dressed and ready for Sunday School.

In fact, she probably hung three loads of clothes out on the line and painted the north side of the barn before church as well.

Somehow still managing to leave on time with the two of us girls in matching dresses she made the night before - all without Daddy sitting in the car honking for her to hurry up.

Okay, back to the story about the cat . . .

Mother pulled the pie out of the oven and left it on the counter to cool. We would have it for dessert after we ate the Sunday roast beast - as Daddy would always call it.

I am not sure if I got jerked from the pew and whisked away to the side bathroom for some parental instruction during the sermon that particular Sunday - but if I did, it was probably because I was thinking about eating that raisin pie. That or picking my nose.

After listening to the Pastor sing Ship Ahoy - all six verses - we finally left for home.

When we got home, we found that our cat, Cinnamon, had eaten the crust from off of half the pie! Mother was afraid that Cinnamon had licked the pie itself or perhaps even done worse to the pie . . . you know, raisins being brown and all.

She refused to take a chance. She threw the whole pie out!

What a travesty! What a waste of precious, plump, sweet raisins!

And that, my friends, is the story of Cinnamon the Cat and the Raisin Pie.

2 cups raisins
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. butter

Pastry for double crust pie

Boil raisins in 1 3/4 cups water for 5 minutes.

Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt; moisten with remaining 1/4 cup cold water and add to raisins, stirring until mixture boils.

Remove from heat and add vinegar and butter. Pour into pie crust and cover with strips of pie crust.

Bake 25 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

Love Me

No comments: