Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Bree's Strawberry Spinach Salad

I love my sister-in-law Bree! She has brought so many new and wonderful things into our lives.

(Bree and Grace in a picture I lifted from her new blog City Girl)

Grace and Lilly of course top the list - but this salad ranks pretty high too!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE spinach? Maybe I have . . . cheesy spinach soup, farm fresh spinach quiche, stuffed shells Florentine. I guess I have mentioned it a time or two.

However, I may not have mentioned that I LOVE strawberries too.

This salad has BOTH! Covered in a snappy vinaigrette.

It screams SPRING!!!!!!

Vinaigrette:

2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. minced onion

In small bowl mix above ingredients. Chill one hour.

Salad:

10 ounces fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
1 quart strawberries - cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup almonds - blanched and slivered

Combine spinach, strawberries, and almonds in large salad bowl. Stir chilled vinaigrette and pour over salad; toss. Refrigerate 10-15 minutes before serving.

*Note: This makes a BIG salad - great for family gatherings. I would recommend the recipe in half for just serving at home.

Thanks Bree for emailing me this recipe so I could do this post!

Love Me

1 comment:

Brian B said...

Love this salad too.

She also introduced us to Mancala.
It is a game not a food.