Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Meat Grinder

I don't have a lot of fru-fru in my kitchen.

One - there isn't enough room for extras; and two - I am just not a fru-fru kind of girl.

My kitchen has the basics and that's it. I don't have a garbage disposal (What would the raccoons eat?) and I don't have a dishwasher (Where would I put it?).

But one thing my kitchen does have is a meat grinder. I love this little baby. I picked it up at my neighbor's yard sale several years ago. Although a real bear to clean, three of my favorite recipes require it.

1. ham loaf
2. banana pudding with peanuts
3. Virginia's ham salad

Since I am highlighting each of these recipes, I decided to do a little post on the meat grinder itself.

This is similar to the grinder I have -
although I don't have the shredding pieces

My meat grinder is a Rival model and is probably from the 70's I am guessing. While not as old as the one my mom uses, I think it is a really nice grinder, and I am pretty pleased with my yard sale find.

This is similar to my mom's grinder

One thing that definitely helps with the grinding process - a teenage boy to turn the handle!

Love Me

No comments: