Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Choco-Cherry Angel Cake

Here we go again - more chocolate and cherries!

My favorite part of this cake is the chocolate Cool Whip topping! So good - not too sweet. If you use light Cool Whip and light cherry pie filling (sweetened with Splenda) this cake is fairly low sugar and low carb.

I have never made an angel food cake before (I always cheat and buy them ready-made), but I got a cake pan for my birthday so I may give it a shot.

1 large round angel food cake
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling (I use light)
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed (I use light)

With long, serrated knife and cutting horizontally, carefully cut off top 1/2 inch of cake. Set top portion of cake aside.

Cut down into cake 1/2 inch from outer edge and 1/2 inch from hole, leaving a wall of cake 1/2 inch thick. Remove center with a curved knife or spoon being careful to leave base of cake at bottom 1/2 inch thick. Save crumbs for a later use*. Place cake on a serving plate.

Spoon pie filling evenly into cavity of cake. Fold cocoa into Cool Whip until well blended. Spoon 1/2 cup topping mixture over cut surface of cake. Replace top portion of cake.

Frost sides and top of cake with remaining flavored Cool Whip. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until serving time.

*Mix crumbs with slightly sweetened strawberries for a quick dessert.

Love Me

1 comment:

Me said...

My first attempt at making an angel food cake resulted in a fallen cake. We still ate it although I would not necessarily describe it as light and fluffy.