Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Steak with mushrooms and onions

In honor of the snow today, I decided we should have steak for supper. After work I went to Walmart and bought a package of six lovely center cut round steaks.

I also bought swiss cake rolls, fudge rounds, fudge stripe cookies, fig nutents, pop tarts, cheese on cheese and peanut butter on cheese snack crackers, cheese puffs, and another bottle of Pepsi Throwback.



I seem to have forgotten about my sugar diabetes as my grandpa would say.

I didn't eat the stuff though - I bought it for the kids. That's it. It was for the kids.

Okay, I had a few fig nutents. But that's all.

Ok, three swigs of the Pepsi Throwback and a package of peanut butter on cheese crackers too.

Now back to the steak.

This little number went together really fast and smelled wonderful while it was cooking. It was a pretty simple meal tonight.

Steak, cottage cheese, the rest of the French bread from the other night, and applesauce.

2 to 2 1/2 lb. boneless beef bottom round steaks, fat trimmed, cut into 6 equal pieces
1/2 cup steak sauce
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
4 cups sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine steaks and sauce in large ziplock bag. Massage contents to coat evenly. Refrigerate atleast 1 hour, up to 8 hours.

Remove steaks from marinade. Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in large skillet. Add steaks and brown, turning once, about 2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat.

Layer mushrooms, onion, and steaks in 4 quart or larger slow cooker. Deglaze skillet with small amount of water and then add juices from pan to cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours or until meat is tender and cooked through.

Adjustments I made to this recipe: I only had time to marinate the meat for 15 minutes and I cooked it on high for 3 1/2 hours. The meat was still very tender and full of flavor.

The snow has now been adequately celebrated.

Love Me

1 comment:

Mrs. H. said...

Your shopping list sounds like mine: frozen pumpkin pie, M&Ms, Swiss Cake Rolls, and those cookies in a round tin (yummy with coffee). We must have inherited a sweet tooth . . .