Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Nana's Miracle Vegetable Soup

It may seem because I post a lot of dessert recipes that I don't follow a very good diet for someone with sugar diabetes as my grandpa would say. This is not really the case.

I do enjoy eating a good dessert, but even more, I enjoy making a good dessert.

I enjoy making and serving my family wholesome, hearty meals which do include an occasional dessert. Ok, maybe we have dessert a little more than occasionally.

However, I am pretty good anymore about only eating a small portion. And in all honesty, since we often have seven people at the supper table, portion sizes are very reasonable.

Any left overs are promptly packed away in the next day's lunches. Out of sight, out of mind.

I really do like my feet, eyes, and kidneys and don't care to lose them to this wicked disease. And after a pretty bad scare with my eyesight last year, maintaining healthy blood sugars is a priority for me.

The kids, knowing that diabetes may be in their future, now have a built in governor when it comes to sweets. Except with orange rolls. Good thing Christmas morning only comes once a year is all I have to say about that.

In honor of my one year anniversary of being diagnosed with diabetes, February - normally known for candy and chocolates - will be full of healthier, lower sugar posts!

With that being said, this is a wonderful, healthy soup to have on hand. I love having this soup ready made in the refrigerator. It makes a great addition to a sandwich at lunch. It is a filling snack by itself.

And - it is good for you and tasty at the same time!

Brian's mom (Nana) gave me this recipe. She has made it as long as I can remember. Believe it or not you will not miss the meat because the cabbage somehow takes the meat's place.

If you are following Weight Watchers, I am pretty sure you can eat the whole pot and it would only be a couple points. However, I wouldn't recommend eating the whole pot unless you have a good book you want to read in the privacy of the bathroom.

Cabbage (1/2 head)
1 can tomato juice
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 bunch of broccoli, cut up
1/2 pack of frozen diced onions - or 1 large onion diced
2 or 3 carrots (canned carrots will also work - but don't add them until later in the cooking)
1 small head of cauliflower, cut up
1 can green beans (optional)

*No corn because of the starch.

Put all ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Add water if necessary, but usually the broth is fine by the time the vegetables cook down.

Eat and feel good about it!

Love Me

No comments: