Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crockpot Moist Drumsticks

Can you still have a crockpot meal for supper when it is 3:00 in the afternoon and your thighs are frozen hard as a rock?

Your chicken thighs I mean. It's cold here but not that cold.

The answer to that question is yes - a resounding yes. This is where the Farmer's Daughter ingenuity and perseverance comes in handy.

I ran the chicken thighs under warm water until I could break them apart. Then I defrosted them in the microwave until they were mostly thawed.


I plopped them in the crockpot and set it on high instead of low. Brian called to say he was working a little late, and we are now set to eat supper at 7:00 pm!


Supper at home! It is worth the work.

This is a new recipe for me, but the sauce sounded good so I thought I would give it a try. As I mentioned, I am using chicken thighs instead of drumsticks.

More meat - need I say more.

I will also be using light soy sauce. It's the healthy thing to do. I hate fat fingers - you know, from all the salt.

3 pounds chicken drumsticks (skin removed)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Place drumsticks in a 5 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken juices run clear.

Remove chicken and keep warm. Strain cooking juices. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth, stir in juices. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.

We will be having this tonight with cottage cheese, egg noodles, and french style green beans.

And all will be well with the world.

Love Me

No comments: