Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Prune Breakfast Butter


I know I said I would post this recipe in February, but this stuff is just too good to wait! We had it on biscuits with lunch today and EVERYONE like it - even Joel!

Don't be scared. Prunes are just dried plums and this prune butter (get it - it's like apple butter) tastes a lot like plums to me.

It makes a great spread on buttered toast or biscuits.

And I bet it would be even better if it were spread on a buttered English muffin. Yummy!

It has a light prune/plum taste with just a hint of lemon. It is smoooooth so there are no texture issues that some people - namely my husband - have with prunes.

Be brave and make some this week.

1 3/4 cups boiling water
2 regular-size Earl Grey tea bags
1 cup pitted prunes (about 8 ounces)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine boiling water and tea bags in a medium bowl; cover and steep 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.

Combine brewed tea and prunes in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until prunes are tender. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Place prune mixture in a blender; process until smooth.

Combine prune mixture, sugar, and lemon rind in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 months. Yield: 1 3/4 cups

I poured mine into two jelly jars. One to keep and one to share.

Weight Watchers Points - 0

Love Me

No comments: