Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slow-cooked Corn Chowder

I am switching things up a bit and having this chowder tonight instead of when listed on my weekly menu. It feels more like a chowder night than a swiss steak night.

Not sure why. It just does.

2 1/2 cups milk
1 can (14 3/4 ounces) cream style corn
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 3/4 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 Tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a 3-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

Or you can do what I am doing tonight.

I am dumping everything in a big pot and heating it up to boiling then cooking it over med-low heat for 2 hours - or until everyone gets home for supper. Whichever comes first.

I have cooked it both ways - and it has always been good!

We are having this tonight along with warm, flaky biscuits with butter and jelly.

And after washing all the bowls and spoons, I will go downstairs and and whip-up on my entire family in Wii tennis!

I love talkin' smack!

Love Me

No comments: