Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Carolina Autumn Salad

This recipe was given to me by my mom. It was one of the many recipes included in the cookbook she made for me and my sister-in-law last Christmas.

What a treasure. If you are a fan of cookbooks, I have to say that this one would probably evoke a little envy if you were to see it.

This cookbook deserves a post all its own. It is chocked full of wonderful recipes - recipes that were staples in our home growing up. And the neat thing is that Mother included little personal notes about most of the recipes - like who liked what recipe best and who passed down certain recipes to her.

I love this particular recipe. It is so different. It is akin to Waldorf salad but without the sweetness.

1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped celery
1 large red apple, diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup salad dressing (ie. Miracle Whip)

Combine all ingredients and chill.

Note from Mother: Don't chop the cabbage too coarse. Slice the celery very thin. This has a very good taste. All ingredients blend well. This may have come from the MoorMan's restaurant in Illinois.

*MoorMan's was the brand of hog feed Daddy fed in the 70s and 80s. They were a large corporation with their corporate office in Quincy, Illinois. My parents visited the corporate office on different occasions and obviously ate in their restaurant a time or two. I remember going there once when I was pretty young.

Adjustments I make to this recipe: I usually double the cabbage and probably cut in half the celery - just because I really don't care for celery.

Love Me

No comments: