Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

(I think these frozen chopped onions are a life saver.
I hate chopping onions and with these for most recipes
I don't have to.)


I have several vegetable soup recipes - and I like them all. But this recipe is so very simple and basic it may be my favorite.

This soup does have one pound of ground beef in it which makes it very filling. The ground beef also makes it a little more palatable for those who don't prefer the cabbage instead of meat version and a little cheaper than the nicer cut of beef versions.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
1 (1 lb) pkg frozen mixed vegetables
3 cups water
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans condensed beef broth (not ready-to serve broth)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained

In a large skillet brown ground beef (seasoned with salt and pepper) and onion over medium-high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain well.

In a large stock pan add browned ground beef as well as all remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Love Me

No comments: