Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Swiss Steak Supper


We still have a lot of venison in the freezer - and Joel is already talking about the upcoming hunting season!

We better start eating!

1 1/2 pounds beef top round steak (I am using venison. We are out of flank steak so I am using tenderloin)
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3 med. potatoes
1 1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
1 med. onion, sliced
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
1 Tbsp. minced parsley

Cut steak into six serving piece sizes. If using flank or round steak flatten to 1/4 in. thickness. Because tenderloin is so tender, I did not flatten it. Rub with seasoned salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on both sides, drain.

Cut each potato into eight wedges. Unless you use the B grade red potatoes like I do which are already smaller. In a slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, beef and onion. Combine tomatoes and gravy; pour over the top. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

*Recipe from Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook (revisions made)

Love Me

No comments: