Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jambalaya


Considering we live in the Ohio Valley, we don't eat seafood that often. I prefer eating seafood when vacationing on the coast - which doesn't happen very often.

Also, I have a slight shell fish allergy. I guess it is slight because shrimp merely makes my throat feel scratchy and a little funny - I have yet to break out in hives or quit breathing.

Despite all of that, we are having jambalaya for supper tonight. Brian and the boys LOVE shrimp - well not Joel so much. But Joel doesn't really LOVE any food.

I take that back - Joel loves biscuits and sausage gravy. But it is too hot to heat the oven up.

Anyway . . .

It will be a late night supper - Megan works until 8pm, Levi has class until 9pm and Joel has an 8pm basketball game.

But the kitchen is clean (refrigerator too!) and the jambalaya is simmering in the crock pot.

Now if I could only find the Benadryl. lol

1 pound Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) beef broth
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups cooked rice

In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.

Stir in shrimp and rice. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through.

12 servings of low carb (12 g) high protein (18 g) hearty goodness.

*Recipe from Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook (revisions made)

Love Me

No comments: