Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam


I love strawberry freezer jam. I could eat it with a spoon right out of the jar. In fact, I am sure I have eaten it with a spoon right out of the jar!

I love to make it in the summer and put it in the freezer and tell everyone that we can't get one out until the first snow! That way the first snow is something to look forward to.

I am tricky that way.

The bad thing about strawberry jam is all the sugar. But you can use the Low Sugar Sure Jell which uses less sugar.

Low sugar Sure Jell uses less sugar - now that was a profound statement.

Anyway, it doesn't set up quite as firm, but it is still super tasty. This recipe, however, is the full sugar recipe.

2 cups prepared strawberries
4 cups sugar
2 box Sure Jell fruit pectin

Remove caps from strawberries. Crush fruit one layer at a time. Measure 2 cups into large bowl. Measure sugar; then thoroughly stir into fruit. Let stand 10 minutes.

Mix 3/4 cup water and Sure Jell in small saucepan. Bring to a full boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.

At once stir into fruit. Continue stirring 3 minutes. A few sugar crystals will remain.

Immediately ladle into containers, leaving 1/2" space at top. With a damp cloth, wipe any spills from containers. Cover at once with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.

Store jam in freezer.

Wait for the first snow.

Love Me

No comments: