Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Six-Fruit Crisp


Since having found out I was diabetic, I try to eat significantly fewer sweets. You know, the good stuff - cookies, cake, candy,
pie . . .

The benefit of this, besides lower blood sugar, has been an appreciation for naturally sweet foods - such as fruit. I have discovered that I really love fruit.

Never before would I have thought that a piece of fruit could satisfy my craving for something sweet. Although there are still times when I physically need a Hershey Bar, I have found that fruit is sweet too!

Although this recipe is not low carb by any means - because of all of the fruit and the sweet crumbly topping - it is a yummy fruit dessert that even I can eat in small portions.

1 jar (25 oz.) chunky applesauce
1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits, drained and rinsed (to help lower the sugar)
1 can (15 1/4 oz.) sliced peaches, drained, chopped and rinsed
1 can (15 1/4 oz.) sliced pears, drained, chopped and rinsed
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained and rinsed
1 can (21 oz.) low sugar cherry pie filling

Topping:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine, melted

Pour applesauce into a greased 13 x 9 baking dish Layer with the pineapple, peaches, pears, and mandarin oranges. Spread pie filling over the top.

For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and margarine. Sprinkle over pie filling. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.

Love Me

No comments: