Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Homemade Angel Food Cake



Not a lot of cooking has been going on in our neck of the woods. Joel and I have been down with influenza for the last week.

Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

But today the snow is starting to melt and the sun has returned, and maybe renewed respiratory function with it.

In an attempt to feel better, I am making cakes today. Not one . . . but two cakes.

Cherry Cake Pudding - courtesy of the Pioneer Woman (who I like to pretend is my personal friend) and Angel Food Cake - courtesy of my mother (who I like to think is my real friend).

Let the baking begin.

Angel Food Cake

1 1/2 cups egg whites (with NO egg yolk traces)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup sifted sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Put empty cake pan in 450 degree oven to heat.

Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold in granular sugar 2 Tbsp. at a time with wire whisk folding in slowly trying to keep the air in the egg whites.

Sift powdered sugar and cake flour together 5 times. Fold into egg white mixture 2 Tbsp. at a time raising spoon with high up-sweep motion.

Add vanilla. Remove pan from oven and pour in batter.

Bake at 450 degrees exactly 23 minutes. Invert on stand or cups until cool.

Love Me

No comments: