Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Blonde Brownies


Brownies and I go way back. Actually, I consider brownies to be one of my closest friends.

Sad but true.

These brownies are one of my absolute favorites. My mom can make them perfect every time - while my success with them is hit or miss.

The key is not over baking them. If you do, they are transformed from oohey-gooey brown sugar goodness into bricks.

Bricks that are impossible to get out of the pan. Bricks that you will try to eat because you are so desperate for a brownie. Bricks that you will curse as you are on the way to the dentist with a broken tooth.

So proceed with caution and heed the warning not to over bake!

1/4 cup margarine
1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (finely chopped)
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips

Melt margarine over low heat. Remove from heat. Blend in sugar. Cool. Stir in egg.

Blend flour, baking powder and salt: stir into cooled mixture. Mix in vanilla and walnuts. Add chocolate chips.

Spread in well greased 8 x 8 square pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Cut into bars while warm.

* NOTE: These brownies will not look done - but remove from oven anyway. Unless you never want to use your 8 x 8 pan again!

Love Me

No comments: