Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Jelly Roll

Me c. 1973
"What do you mean the jelly roll is all gone?"

For some reason I have a specific memory of Mother making this jelly roll while wearing her pretty pink housecoat. I think it was on a Sunday morning.

Yes, only my mother would or could manage to make Sunday dinner (usually roast, potatoes, and carrots), bake a jelly roll from scratch, and get two little girls ready for church on Sunday morning. But she did - every Sunday.

Well, maybe not the jelly roll part.

*Note: The following has nothing to do with cooking, but is worthy of posting.

One of the things for which I am most grateful to my parents is their faithfulness to the Lord - faithfulness in church attendance and church service. Never did we have to ask if we were going to church on Sunday. It was a given. We were there.

Although we may not be as industrious as them (I have NEVER baked a jelly roll on Sunday morning), our parents' pattern of faithfulness has been passed down to me, my sister, and my brother. Praise God for godly parents!

Now back to the jelly roll!

This is a recipe that is in the cookbook Mother made for me, my sister, and my sister-in-law. Under the comment section she added that she would often make this jelly roll using her grandmother's homemade jelly.

Maybe that is why it was always so good!

This is a very simple recipe that is SOOO much tastier than the store bought versions!

1 cup Softasilk flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla

powdered sugar
jelly of choice

Beat eggs until very thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in water and vanilla on low speed.

Slowly mix in dry ingredients, just until smooth. Pour into jelly roll pan which has been greased and floured (jelly roll pan=15"x10" pan with 1" sides).

Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn baked jelly roll onto clean dish towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Trim edges. Roll cake and towel into roll. Allow to cool.

Unroll and spread with jelly. Roll cake again. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice into 1" slices when ready to serve.

Love Me

No comments: