Farmer's Daughter

Although 20+ years removed from the farm, farmer's daughter is still a title I enjoy.
Growing up on a farm taught me many invaluable lessons, two of those being frugality and creativity.
Now as a wife and a mom, I love to put into practice what I learned growing up as a
Farmer's Daughter.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pickled Beets


I love pickled beets! But . . . they have to be pickled beets made from this recipe.

I have tried beets on buffets, beets from the hospital cafeteria, beets at other people's houses . . . They are just not the same!

This recipe is from my mother's grandmother whom we always called Mom. I have eaten them since I was born.

When I was in second grade we were told to bring our favorite food to school with us one day. For me it was a toss-up between spinach and my mom's pickled beets . . . I picked the beets.

I can't remember if we were getting to know each other or if we were studying nutrition - all I know is that you had to at least try each item brought in.

Needless to say, I wasn't very well liked that day because, let's face it, most second graders don't like pickled beets.

But I did - and I still do.

4 cups sugar
2 cups water (can use beet juice)
2 cups vinegar
beets, sliced

Mix sugar, water, and vinegar in saucepan. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Add beets; heat but do not overcook the beets.

Using slotted spoon, dip out hot beets and put in pint jars washed hot water. Pour still hot sauce over beets. Put lid on jar and allow to seal.

Refrigerate before serving.

Love Me

No comments: